Wednesday, November 02, 2005

This "Grandmother" thing....

A lot of stuff has been going on in my life lately; and I have been way too busy doing nothing to write about it. I think it is time for me to go back to work. But that is another blog entry for yet another day.
My grandson, Ayman, went to Egypt with his daddy last Thursday, and Mommy and Grandma took them to the airport. He was pretty blase' about the whole trip, unlike his grandma. Of course, he's made the journey before at the tender age of about six weeks old. This time around, however, he is walking, climbing, and as opinionated as any child can be that can't yet talk. I cringe to think of what the trip was like for daddy...San Francisco to Frankfurt, Germany; a four hour layover, then on to Egypt. They left here at 1:30 p.m. our time, and arrived in Egypt approximately ll:00 a.m. the next day (also our time, it's way too confusing for me to figure out how long that actually is....sorry). Ignorance truly is bliss. His daddy said that he knew it would be a difficult trip, but I don't think he truly appreciated just how difficult....until now. In his first short email to my daughter, he said that the baby had only slept two hours during their trip, and now that they are there won't let him out of his sight. I surely don't blame him...poor baby.

Mommy is deliriously enjoying her time alone for now; sleeping for hours upon hours, that sleep uninterrupted for the first time in almost two years by a baby or a husband--eating whatever and whenever she pleases--drunk with freedom. Ahhhh...."Mommy time", what could be more exhilarating! I can't blame her, I remember those days. I have to say that I miss him terribly. I never thought that I was going to be one of "those" grandmothers. People would show me pictures of their wrinkly, red-faced grandbabies, and go on interminably about how cute they were (are they kidding? Yikes! Put on your glasses, granny!) how smart, and I would paste a smile on my face and say things like, "Oh yes, he/she is just adorable!" "How sweet!" etc, all the while thinking, dear god, I hope I never do that.....that kid is a mutt! But I guess I'm okay; after all, my grandson IS the cutest, smartest little guy I've ever seen, and I can't believe what a huge place he has in my heart. This grandma thing is the coolest--when he and his mom come to visit me, he rings my doorbell and waits for me to open the door to his huge toothy smile and I melt. And now he kisses me if I beg him enough, how cool is that? If mommy wants to go run some errands, he is more than happy to visit with me. There are so many cool things to do at Grandmas house. There are buttons to push on my stereo, a liquor cabinet that is a blast to open and close, a little cedar box on my bookshelves that he loves to sit on the floor with, open the lid and try to put his little baby leg inside....then of course, the refrigerator to open and close, the wooden salad tongs he loves to play with for two seconds, and a patio door to open and close hundreds of times.....soo much fun for a baby!
Good Lord, I HAVE TURNED INTO ONE OF THOSE GRANDMAS!!! I am so lucky.

No comments: